The Orange teapot dress


Last night was the first time I have done some serious painting since my exhibit in Gaborone.It is of a Herero lady and she is part of a much larger painting ,which I will reveal when it is all finished.

The Herero people live mainly in Namibia a country that borders on the Western part of Botswana.The Herero spread into Botswana during 1904 after they rebelled against the German rule of that time and were defeated.About 2000 fled into Botswana ,however without any cattle or livestock they had to worked for the Tswana until they once again amassed for themselves their own herds of animals.

Today many Herero are big cattle farmers,and are known to take good care of their livestock thereby contributing to Botswana's beef industry. The Herero woman are easily identified by their long dresses,these outfits are made by themselves are are only worn by married women.The Victorian style of dress was influenced by the German colonization in Namibia during the late 1800 century .The outfit also consists of some kind of headdress (which I call horns) and it normally matches the dress.This style of dress has change little over time, except for the fact that you can now find them in all kind of bright colors, and even with teapots on them.

Comments

Douglas Clark said…
Glad to see you are painting again, where have you been? Ive been reading a book called Cocktail Hour Under the Tree of Forgetfulness about a family from Rhodesia, it made me think of you, isn't thst where you were originally from. This painting looks great, I'll be very interested in seeing the entire painting. How did the rest of your show go? I hope really well.
Roger Brown Art said…
Thanks Douglas.Rhodesia,which is now Zimbabwe was where my parents are from,although born there I spent my early childhood in South Africa before moving to Botswana .My grand parents are still living in Bulawayo.The show went well and I sold a few more paintings,so I am really glad.Am now preparing for a group exhibit which will be held here in Maun and will showcase work from the northern part of Botswana.
Art with Liz said…
This is absolutely beautiful Roger! I never knew that about the Herero moving to Botswana. Glad your exhibition went well.

Popular Posts