My first portrait in oil paints (Sue)


 


Can you believe it I have never done a portrait in oils yet.This is my first portrait done in oils.I have painted people before but they have always been part of a much larger painting.I have done portraits in pencil and have even sold quite a number of them.I think I have just been more focused on portraying wildlife,and village activities.So this is what I did this weekend, starting on Friday,I spent a few hours each evening working on this portrait.

When I started this painting I actually thought it would be easy to complete,but half way through,I realized my colors were just not coming together .Loosing all confidence I ended up painting very thin layers and carefully blending them together until the right colors were achieved.It seemed a slow and painful process,but it made me realize the challenge of achieving that perfect likeness of someone you know.I am glad to say that it turned out better than I thought it would .

  


 Just a few progress shots of Sue.


Comments

Maria Villioti said…
Your first? This is a great portrait Roger!!! Excellent work!!!
Peter Brown said…
Terrific work Roger. I hope you'll do some more portraits now that you've completed your first to such a high standard.
Roger Brown Art said…
Thanks Maria and Peter,I will certainly be trying out some more portraits in oils,I already have a few more subjects lined up.
Liplatus said…
Well done you have a beautiful painting.
I admire the art on!
martinealison said…
Une magnifique capture... Votre portrait est non seulement réussi mais il a une âme.
Gros bisous
archi said…
Very impressive and mature! I am amzed at the likeness! You have captured Sue perfectly. She has such an engaging smile!
Roger Brown Art said…
Thank you both for your comments.
Congratulations Roger for your good job on this painting, keep it up
Anonymous said…
This is wonderful and that for the first time with oil paint? wow .... outstanding!
Douglas Clark said…
Roger, it just seems like what ever you attempt you succeed at. This is very well done. First, in a long line of many more oil portraits I hope.
Doug
Roger Brown Art said…
Thank you all for the encouraging comments!I will certainly look at doing more portraits in oils.

Popular Posts